Saturday, December 13, 2008

We are the RICHEST people I know






Wealth can be measured in so many different ways.

I remember in my youth being envious of material things that other people had that I could have never afforded. There are still a zillion things out there I can't afford, and will never be able to, but there is nothing in this world that I need. I have a loving husband, a supportive family, good friends, and the most amazing son...I couldn't ask for anything more! Can you tell that I am still riding on the high of being a new mother? It is the best feeling in the world! Dylan and I truly do feel like God has given us everything we could ask for and we ARE the richest people in the world because of this new blessing!
Blake James Stroud was born on November 19, 2008 at 12:14 am (3 weeks early, due to pre-eclampsia), weighing in at 8 lbs. 8 1/2 oz. In typical Amy fashion I haven't gotten around to starting this electronic baby book until now (I love this idea by the way, thanks Kerry!). I went into the hospital Monday, November 17, 2008 for the induction at 6:00 pm. Dylan and I had the least relaxing night of sleep we've ever had and awoke Tuesday morning early, hoping to hear that labor would be getting started right away...he was supposed to leave to go back to South Carolina at 2:00 that afternoon. Unfortunately, baby Blake wasn't ready to make his entrance into the world and I could see the disappointment in his poor Daddy's face when they gave us the news I hadn't dilated at all. Luckily we were able to call the airline and get another flight out at 5:00 the next morning (Wednesday). Dylan was required to be back at work on Wednesday at 12:00, so we were really pressing our luck, it turned out to be a good thing (God was watching out for us!), and Dylan was able to attend his training and finally get some sleep after being awake for 40 hours! Anyway, he was able to stay for the birth and I am so glad we were able to share that time together. I've never seen him prouder in his whole life (although I think he was a bit disappointed that Blake looked NOTHING like him when he was born). He was there to cut the cord, videotape his first moments, and cuddle with his newborn son. I was so in awe of this perfect angel that I'm pretty sure I forgot to thank him for being so persistent in trying to make it home for the birth. A lesser man may have given up when he was told no, but not Dyl, he went straight to the top and pleaded his case. Thankfully, they agreed to give him the time off that he needed to be home with us.
In the end, he had to leave about 30 minutes after we got into the recovery room. But, I think I speak for both of us when I say what an amazing thing childbirth is, it was worth every bit of hard work that was put into working up to that day (yes, even all the puking). It is truly remarkable the love you feel for your child, there's no other way to describe it but love at first sight...

1 comment: